Host families are a key component of the Kindred Connections program. To learn about what is involved in being a host family, please contact Jana Hill at 541 788 3151 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host families will be offered a wide array of training opportunities and resources to support them as they open their homes and hearts to children in the Kindred Connections Network. To be considered for a Host Family volunteer position, individual, and families must meet the basic criteria listed below.
Characteristics & Skills of Effective Host Families
Characteristics: Non-judgmental, Empathetic, servant heart, generous spirit, seeks to love unconditionally, kind, gentle. Skills: Active listener, positive and strength based, problem solving focus, patience, flexible, communicate effectively, proper disciplining skills.
Host Family Description
- Maintain a safe, clean home.
- Be able to meet the child’s health and safety needs and provide adequate supervision.
- Provide a bed and personal care items, such as diapers, toiletries, etc.
- Nurture the child and promote acceptance within the family, treating each child in the household with fairness.
- Provide clothing items as needed (child will come with some clothing).
- Provide transportation as needed to school, doctor appointments, etc.
- Notify the Family Advocate of any pending changes in status, such as a new address or phone number, a change in employment, or a change in the number of people living in your home.
- Notify the Family Advocate immediately of any medical, behavioral or other emergencies.